It all started when…
St. David's was founded in 1952 with 111 members and a temporary location on Annapolis Road. The Reverend Lester W. Stoneback was officially installed as Pastor in June of that year. Groundbreaking at its current location at Academy Road and Holme Ave occurred in January, 1954. The church continued to grow and flourish, as did the surrounding neighborhoods. In 1966, the Educational Wing was built. St. David's celebrated its 25th Anniversary in 1977 by burning the mortgage for the Education Building. Pastor Stoneback also retired served the church for 25 years. The Reverend Arden L. Krych, who served until 1991, accepted a synodical appointment. His replacement was the Reverend Kevin V. Hilgendorf.
Pastor Hilgendorf retired in November 2016. With a fond farewell and send off to Pastor Kevin, St. David's has completed a four Phase Pastoral Transition Process and we are happy to welcome our new pastor, Lauren E. Heywood as of August 15, 2018.
St. David's is a congregation of 150 people and has services suited for everyone:
A traditional Lutheran Book of Worship Service at 8:30 am Sunday
Adult Sunday School at 9:20 am
Children's Sunday School at 10:30 am
Contemporary Rejoice Service is at 10:30 am and includes live band music
For those unable to make it on Sundays, there is also an evening service at 7:30 pm on Wednesdays.
From the beginning, Saint David's congregation has been committed to contributing to our community. Some of the Agencies and Outreach that are supported by the congregation are Aid for Friends, Lutheran Charities, Lutheran Disaster Response, Feast of Justice Ministries, Feast Incarnate, Lydia's Closet, Navajo Mission, Rhawnhurst Turning Point, Philadelphia Silver Springs-Martin Luther School, Crop Walk, SEKUco and Interfaith Hospitality.